Friday, January 11, 2008

mele kalikimaka, hau'oli makahiki hou

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year



New Years Eve in Hawaii is what D-day would have looked like if it were night or a firefight in Fallujah. Laie residents wents nuts buying fireworks especially the fireworks of the illegal variety. I couldn't compete with my 'Foodland' purchased ground flowers which I tried to make more exiting by hitting them with my tennis racket into the water turing this particular firework into an airborn pyrotechnic floosey but it did light up the water for a few seconds with was pretty cool. We got ashley some sparklers which turned out to be just as fun. As we approached the newyear the roads became filled with kids and adults alike using pedestrians and cars and unsuspecting moving targets. The steets eventually just became closed while everyone including toddlers lit off their fireworks. The fireworks were steadily going off from about 6 PM to 3 in the Morning. Now a couple week after the event we still hear fireworks going off. I don't know why but the fireworks show here in Laie made me extremely patriotic.

No comments: