Saturday, May 9, 2009

Tribute to my 'Grandpapi' Pete




Recently my granpapi died due to complications from diabetes. He faught hard to stay with us as long as he could he truely loved life and lived every day to the fullest. To those who never got to know him might have dismissed him as an insignificant blue collar man working as a teamster for many years and a highschool janitor untill relatively recently when he was too frail to work. To everybody who knew him though he was a giant not only in stature but he had a big heart as well. He always had his home open to troubled teens and family members. He gave his all to the service of his extened family and community. I am gratefull for the few weeks I spent every summer at his home. He always had a way to make me laugh, whether is was telling embarissing stories about my mother's childhood or the shenanagans he would get into as a kid in NewJersey, to trying to steal all my girlfriends away from me. I remember at my wedding a couple summers back seeing him with two bridesmaids he just met sitting in his lap and everyone laughing their guts out. I remember him traveling up from Oregon to see my Dive and play baseball. I remember talking baseball, history, and guy stuff for hours at a time. The world will be different without Grandpapi Pete, we will all miss how much fun he made everything and how much love he showed everyone. We love you grandpapi Pete!! Rest in peace 'Old Man'
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

cindy said...

Brandon, we're so sad about Grandpa Pete. We feel so blessed to have been friends with him. And we feel like we've gotten to know him even better from all the stories Uncle Will has shared at church. He really was amazing, and so giving and open hearted to everyone. Our favorite story about him was right after we moved into our house. It was when we had that dog, Rosie (remember how much she liked you?) Your dad and grandpa came in with us, it was late at night, and the dog still needed to take a little trip outside before bedtime. Your grandpa was really taken up with Rosie, and began scratching her back right above her tail, in one particular spot. It seemed like the weirdest place to scratch a dog, but he kept scratching that one spot. Then Rosie peed all over the new carpet. If it had been anyone else, we would have been annoyed, but since it was your grandpa, we've just laughed about it. I think he was doing that on purpose. Were you there for that? It really was funny. I guess that's a weird story, but we always remember that. We really loved him, he was just fun. Really fun. We'll miss him.

Brad and Sue Frandsen said...

Brandon, I loved your tribute to grandpa, you and him are a lot alike in many ways, your humor for one! Thanks so much for taking the time to be there at his funeral. I love you!